Things are about to get a little more intimate around here. Starting NOW I’ll be doing roundup-style posts at the end of each month, highlighting some of the things going on in my life aside from all the travel-related stuff. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
In July of 2014…
- I discovered a lot of people still don’t know what mochilera means. Mochilera is Spanish for backpacker. So essentially, my blog name is The Backpacker Diaries…but I prefer the Spanish flair. The more you know.
- My family spent our last 4th of July ever at Hood Canal, and said goodbye to an amazing house full of memories.
- I got to spend a beautiful day with my friend Megan, the talent behind the lens at Megan Kathleen Photography. You’ll see her work around here sooner than later…in the meantime, you can check out some of her stunning photography (and give her a “like”) on her facebook page.
- Raging wildfires, including the largest in Washington state’s history, consumed hundreds of thousands of acres of forest and completely wiped out several small orchard towns in central Washington. Dry heat, lightning storms and strong winds caused thousands to lose pretty much everything they had (homes, businesses, entire orchards, farms, or herds of livestock) but it makes me proud to see our communities rallying to support them, and even prouder that my wildland firefighter brother has been on the front lines helping to get these fires under control.
- My mom and I put on our first ever yard sale to lighten our material burden and make a little cash (for travel!). There’s a lot I would do differently next time, but I still consider it a huge success.
- I bought flights! Lots of them! I’ve already mentioned my plans to travel the USA, but I’m now officially leaving the country September 10th. Stay tuned for details!
- We said goodbye to an amazing furry friend, our awesome 15-year-old cat Barney. I’ve never been so devastated by the loss of an animal. Time heals all wounds…right?
- I finally took the plunge…and bought an iPhone! Let the app downloading insanity begin…
- I won a set of 50 prints from Printic, an app that lets you create beautiful polaroid-style prints from your iOS photos or Dropbox files, care of the fun-loving duo Esther and Jacob of the blog by the same name. They love travel and their site is loaded with beautiful photography–and every now and again they give away awesome stuff! Check ’em out!
- Finally, I’ve been planning lots of big changes for The Mochilera Diaries, and I can’t wait to share them with you! Except I have to wait just a teensy bit longer, but it’ll all be worth it!
Onward and upward…bring on August!